I got a gray/beige lightweight twill for the project, as well as all 3 million of the buttons required (buttons on the shoulders, on the pocket, on the belt loops) for the dress:

But, before I cut, the first step in most of my projects is "Snoop Shopping" to make sure that the idea that I have for a garment has a parallel in current clothing. One of the things that often mark clothing that is handmade is not the quality (which is usually better than ready to wear) but the style. Very often, home sewists select styles based solely on personal likes and dislikes, sometimes using patterns that have been in "the stash" for years, and this will mark a garment as homemade.
Other things that will readily mark a garment as home sewn are things like fabric choice and buttons. While I happily make shirts for my nephews in all the goofball prints that I can find, I would never make a dress for myself with cartoon skeletons on it. Besides, they are babies, what do they know from fashion? As for the buttons, look at the size button recommended by most patterns and then COMPLETELY IGNORE THE RECOMMENDATIONS. Most patterns recommend buttons that are much, much larger than what can be found on most ready to wear clothes. Also, as fun as cut glass flower buttons, buttons with rhinestones, or painted enamel may seem when in the throes of "fabric-store-induced-stupidity," when was the last time you saw something like that on a garment available at the mall (and you weren't in Chico's)?
So, before embarking on my "Urban Safari," I spent some time doing some online "shopping," and came up with some interesting results:
Burberry, $495.00 at Nordstrom
Ann Taylor, $145.00Based on this, it would appear that the "safari craze" is not something that Burda is trying to create by insisting on putting SOME Safari-styled dress in every issue of the magazine (that may be an exaggeration, but only a slight one).
Since I am now satisfied that I will not be "outed" as a hot mess, I shall cut out the safari dress this weekend.
Since I am now satisfied that I will not be "outed" as a hot mess, I shall cut out the safari dress this weekend.



8 comments:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who snoop shops before she cuts! I can't wait to see your dress. A shirtdress is on my list.
What a great reminder, snoop shopping is very worthwhile!
I am a huge advocate of snoop shopping. Did you know the the "shield" on the Elizabeth & James dress at NetAPorter actually unbuttons to make the dress sleeveless? It's a concept, I've put in my design file for future reference.
I am a huge advocate of snoop shopping. Did you know the the "shield" on the Elizabeth & James dress at NetAPorter actually unbuttons to make the dress sleeveless? It's a concept, I've put in my design file for future reference.
I love the safari look. I don't think it's trendy though, as it seems to always be in fashion in some form.
You are so right about home sewers choosing non current fabrics and patterns, and I have done it myself on too many occasions, a point well made.
I have that pattern, and every now and then, I take it out and fondle it, but that's as far as I've gotten! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Good Luck!!!
I did the same thing! I found some website that aggregated about 20 variations on the safari dress, all currently available at higher end stores, so I figured I was safe.
Post a Comment