Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hot Patterns Marrakesh Drawstring Pants

I finally finished my Hot Patterns Marrakesh Pants:


I thought that this would be a very bad style for me, but then I saw so many people making them on PR with fantastic results, as well as seeing Trudy's videos, I decided to give them a try. And can I say I was pleasantly surprised by the muslin? I had two tiny, tiny wrinkles under the bum that showed that I needed to extend that crotch curve on the back pattern piece, and I had to add a tiny wedge to the back to cover the bum and fix a little bit of "gaposis." This may SOUND like a lot of alterations, but in my experience with pants, these were NEARLY PERFECT. Seriously, I would have totally worn a pair of RTW pants with the minor issues that the muslin had.

So, I made my alterations and cut my fashion fabric. I had this deliciously drapey poly suiting that I bought in Portland at Fabric Depot, and some leftover zebra charmeuse that I used for the pocket bags. I know no one will see it, but it makes me happy.


I have to say, though, that I would be very reluctant to post a review about my happiness with the draft of this pant in light of a recent thread on PR, in which a couple of members accused reviewers of deliberately "glossing over" issues with patterns because a) the company is small, or b) we personally like the people who make them, or c) god knows why.

As far as I can tell, the original poster was stymied by the fact that where the inseams meet the crotch curve, there is a little hump...i.e., it does not make a perfect "U." The claim was that a beginner wouldn't know how to fix it, and because everyone else has conspired to hide the fact that the pattern draft is faulty, that we are complicit in chasing beginners away from sewing. OK, so I paraphrased, but that was the basic point...that beginners would be discouraged and might quit sewing.

OK, I understand frustration. I have been very frustrated by patterns. I was frustrated by the 4 million muslins I had to make to get a pair of pants that I wasn't ashamed to leave the house in. My response? That I could not post on the boards because there was no way I could "be nice?" Scroll up to the image of the pattern. See the two little dress forms at the top? Know what that means? NOT A BEGINNER PATTERN. As an "Advanced Beginner," the assumption should be that perhaps you have actually seen a pants pattern before, or would know how pants patterns go together, or have enough experience sewing (and wearing clothes) to know that pants crotch curves should not have a lump poking you in your junk. Having just completed this pattern, I can attest that this is a rather involved pattern. Between the waistband with a drawstring, the pockets, the topstitching, and the fly front...this had quite a few fiddly bits that beginners would be frustrated with long before they got to the crotch curve.

Not to mention, probably half the pants patterns I have ever sewn (and let's face it, I have sewn A LOT of them) have that hump and you just straighten it when you sew the legs together. I have done this to Vogue pants, to McCall's pants, to Burda, and I had to do it to this Hot Patterns draft. I don't even mention it in reviews because it happens all the time, and you just correct when you sew. The mismatch of the seams also tends to be "enhanced" once I start making my alterations.

But, no matter how many people pointed this out in the thread, the entire thing just became an excuse to bash Hot Patterns, or bash the people that said that they had had good luck with those patterns. So therefore, I will probably not be posting a review on PR, because I don't feel like being abused. Suffice it to say, I was very happy with these pants, and any issue with the crotch curve is so minor and so ubiquitous to pants patterns as to not warrant mention.

Here is the final product:


You can see that the back fits very well, with no pulling or creasing. To achieve this, I added 1 1/2 inches of length to the back crotch curve, blending back down into the inseam. I also added a 1 inch wedge to the back to raise the waistband and keep the undies from peeking out. I also tilted the back seam so that it would curve over the top of the derriere and prevent "gaposis."

I also added a slight bit of width to the front pattern piece, and may add more...but I can't decide if the creases at the crotch are because of fit, or because I've hiked them up by tying the drawstring too tight. The description says that the pants sit one inch below the natural waist, but in this picture I have them at the natural waist. I think I just need to loosen the drawstring:


Overall, I am extremely happy with these pants. Normally for pants I use fabrics with much more body, and these are like wearing pajamas. The only concern that I would have is that they don't exactly camouflage anything...so Spanx may be in order. I think a minor tweak here and there to account for other fabrics and these could be a fantastically versatile pant. I think that you could even use them for a lounge pant in a stretch knit, and omit the zipper. I am looking forward to using this pattern again.

16 comments:

Sue said...

Great looking pants, glad you like the pattern too!

That thread left me gob smacked at the meaness of some of the comments - I hope they write perfect reviews when they are so rude about other's reviews.

Rose said...

Thank you for reviewing this pattern--I'm glad another review of this pattern is out there in the blogosphere. I think that the pants look great! and I'm happy to see that it took minimal effort for fitting. I hope you change your mind and post a review on PR so that your observations can be easily located, but I understand why you might not want to post.

Rose in SV

SewRuthie said...

Yes I read that thread too and thought the poster was overreacting. I would love to see your review on PR. The pants look wonderful!!! And not at all how I imagine drawstring pants would look.

gwensews said...

Those are very nice looking pants. I read the whole hullabaloo at PR. Not every pattern is perfect, regardless of manufacturer. People knit-pick.

KID, MD said...

I love these pants! I've seen some lovely ones out there, and as a self-labelled "Advanced Beginner", I think I need to give them a go, regardless of snarky people on PR.

Debbie Cook said...

Great pants. I love this pattern too. Totally agree with your comments about it and "that thread" even though I was one who did react within the thread (and got flamed for doing so). Please do post your review on PR. This is such a great pattern overall and doesn't deserve the treatment it received in that thread. (Of course, I'll understand if you don't.)

Sew Shy said...

Those look great! Please still post your review. I think more people will benefit from it being there. We can't let the bashers have their way, can we? If so, who suffers in the end? Certainly not them...

Peace Thyme said...

Lovely pants. Maybe I will try them as so many people look good in them.

As for the pattern review thing. I think your comments were appropriate but I hope that you don't stop reviewing. If those reviews help me, I know they help a lot of people.

Unknown said...

DO make more of those pants, they are great, and your post here as made me decide I should try them, too.
DON'T let the meanies at PR win, do the honest review (exactly what you said about being an advanced beginner pattern), the benefit outweighs the harm.
THANK YOU for you honesty!

Melody said...

I didn't see that thread, but am on to check it out right now. Those pants look fab.

julia said...

They look great!

amber said...

This is a pattern I'm hoping to try this spring and have been scouring the internet for reviews, since there are only 3 on PR. I hope you decide to review them and mention that this is an advanced beginner pattern.

I think the pants look great and am really excited to make a pair of my own.

Eugenia said...

Great looking pants, I love the style and the fit looks really good. I really like the contrasting fabric for the pocket bags.

Elizabeth said...

Your pants look good on you, and I'm glad you reviewed them here. Your comment on Coudremode brought me over here, as the thread on PR aggravated me very much also, and i agree very much with what you are saying. It would be great to see your review on PR, too, but who could blame you for not wanting to put it there? Enjoy them, and the next versions, too.

AnnB said...

I like the finished pants, they look nice on you. I also enjoyed the review of your adjusments as I have to make just the same ones. Ignore the pique about the peak in the pants. If a pattern did not have them before I do my adjustments it always does after. But...how do you hande the "peak" you can get raising the back waist? Do tell if you like.

Michelle said...

Thank you, everyone, for the comments and encouragment. AnnB, as for the peak in the back of the pants from adding a wedge, if you are getting one, you may be adding a wedge that is slightly too large. When I wear RTW pants, or use an unaltered pattern, the shape and size of my bottom drags down the center back of my pants, making the back waist kind of u-shaped. I add a wedge to the back to bring that up to horizontal. If you add to much, your bottom won't fill all the extra space that you have added, and the back of the waist may "peak" rather than being horizontal. If you are getting a peak there, a quick fix would be to simply take of the waistband of the pant, trim the top of the pants down, and reattach the waistband. In future alterations, you could try a smaller wedge in the back of the pant, and see if that works. That would be my instinct anyway, if I were ending up with a peak in the back.