Thursday, January 21, 2010

Shawl Collar Wrap Jacket


I decided that I would use my ivory boucle from the Fabric.com sale for the Wrapover Jacket in the December, 2009 Burda. I knew that I was potentially heading for an unexpected result, as the jacket calls for a knit and I was using a woven. Fortunately, KID, MD had made the same jacket recently, and also in a woven and with good results. I heeded her warning that in a woven the sleeves were very narrow, and added some extra room in the biceps.

The boucle shredded like crazy, so I used my serger for nearly all the construction. The boucle also looks very different on the front and the back. One side very clearly has a pattern of squares, and shiny rayon threads are visible:


On the other side, the pattern of squares is much less visible, and it is this side that I used for my "front."


I initially had concerns about making a jacket like this from a woven, so I did a little snoop-shopping and found a couple similar boucle jackets with belted waists. This Classiques Entier Atelier Boucle Jacket, was on sale at Nordstrom, regular price $298.00, on sale for $148.00:


As well as this one from Lafayette 148 (also from the Nordstrom website), regular price $448.00, on sale for $267.00:

Here is the finished product:

And man oh man, is it warm! It may get worn open more often than closed:


Overall, it was a very simple pattern to put together, I read the instructions and they made perfect sense to me...which may just mean that Burda has given me Stockholm Syndrome.

There was a lot of handstitching, that probably took me as long as the entire rest of the project. You have to handstitch the hems for the bottom and the cuffs, as well as stitch the shawl collar down all the way around. Other than that, the sewing was really quick, and the sleeves are set in flat, so that made everything very easy. The only issue that I ran into was the tendency of the boucle to shred. Not ravel, but completely shred! So, I finished the hem and ends of the sleeves with the serger before it fell apart completely, and did all the construction seams on the serger. The only thing that I did on the regular machine were the seams for the sash and two small seams on the front.

The one issue that I have is something that, of course, is completely invisible in the model photo...the fact that the shoulders are very, very dropped. Of couse, that is the risk that you often take when you don't make a muslin...yes, I am impatient and did not do one. I figured, what the heck....if I mess it out, I'm only out about $5.00 worth of fabric. On the other hand, they are SO dropped it was clearly intentional, so I'll call it "stylistic" and wear it anyway!

15 comments:

amber said...

I think it's fabulous! Love the color and how cozy and warm it looks. Nice job!!

Tanya said...

Very cute jacket, it looks great on you.

Unknown said...

Okay, now I *HAVE* to make this! Your ivory jacket is so pretty, nice job!

julia said...

This jacket looks amazing. Isn't it great to have other bloggers to get tips and ideas from?

KID, MD said...

It looks great!! You are going to love it! It has ended up being my go to jacket this winter.

Keely said...

Lovely jacket and it does look warm.

Andrea said...

That jacket looks great, and you did a beautiful job on it. I've been eyeing that pattern also.

Patty said...

Very cute jacket! I'm happy to see that fabric made up....I just missed the boat on ordering some! I got the dreaded Fabric.com email that it was out of stock *after* I placed my order :-(

Anonymous said...

Very cozy, comfy looking!

Eugenia said...

That is very elegant. I love the fabric, the texture is really nice and the colour is beautiful.

gwensews said...

Very pretty jacket, dropped sleeves and all. I love white. Nice job!

Aminat said...

Cute cute jacket...

Susan said...

Great fabric choice for this pattern. I am looking for something similar to make one. I'm going to have to stalk Fabric.com now. lol.

HeathersSphere said...

Such a chic jacket on you! Another fabulous addition to your wardrobe!

Julia said...

I tried to email you at the address shown in your profile and it keeps coming back to me. Is that still your email address? Email me at granmommaj@gmail.com so I can reply to you, if you have a chance. thanks