Here is the haul:

Two cotton shirtings, 4 yards each. They are a nice medium-weight cotton. I recently saw a woman that I work with wearing a shirt that was similar to the blue and black. Apparently plaid is back. Woe is me for throwing all mine out along with the Pearl Jam and Soundgarden CDs. Had I only known that grunge would return so quickly....
But, I think I might use McCalls 5929 for at least one of the plaids, since I like their example in the red plaid:
Next a pretty cotton sateen with a large-scale print:
It is super silky. Also in the photo is a wool with 4% lycra. It is very drapey, and would be great for a pant like the Hot Patterns Marrakesh Pant. However, since I already have a black pair, I will use this for a skirt. It is light enough that I may give a try with Butterick 5249. I had concerns about the pleats on the hips. I love the look, but that is certainly an area on me that needs no accentuating, and you certainly would not want to use a stiff fabric.
For the sateen, I am thinking about a trench coat. I have both McCall 5525 and Burda 7639, I think either would be a good look:
Finally, I have 5 yards each of the Cobalt/Multi boucle and the Ivory boucle:

The multi-colored boucle might make a good Chanel-style jacket, but I was toying wit the idea of using the ivory for the Wrapover Jacket in the December, 2009 Burda:
The pattern calls for a sweater knit, which I could get, but I really like the ivory boucle, and it seems like it would be soft enough and drapey enough to work. Of course, I could be going down a path to massive failure by not using the recommended fabric, so comments are welcome!!
In the meantime, I have been reorganizing my stash and trying to keep track of what I have. Here are JUST the wovens:

I have been entering them all into a spreadsheet since I discovered in my sorting that I have a tendency to "re-buy" things that I THINK I don't have, when really it's just burried under a pile of nonsense. I have probably 25 yards of black fabric for pants, some twill, some stretch twill, some wool, and some poly...all purchased because I was positive that I had no black pant fabric. Regardless, does anyone need 12 pairs of black pants? I think not. Perhaps I will have to start making jackets...and skirts...and shirts.
9 comments:
Great deals! I am waiting for my shipment!
Wow! What a horde. Surely black pant fabric will always be useful in the long run!
Wow, lots if super, new toys! Have fun and make beautiful things.
Okay maybe not 12 pairs of black pants maybe just 6 pairs of black pants! And then you could use the rest on a few skirts and jackets! You did good with your order from fabric.com!
Awesome!! I've been avoiding fabric.com, since I heard about the Vera Lavendar sale. You got a nice haul!
I made the Wrapover Jacket in a woven, and I absolutely love it!! The only thing to be cautious of is that since it is sized for knits the sleeves are super slim.
Hello, shopaholic! Just kidding, I love everything you bought. I also have a woven that I want to make that Burda jacket it, so thank you "Kid MD" for your comment! We should do this together. While we watch Project Runway. Yeah, good idea...
Thanks, everyone. And Carolyn, you are an enabler! You KNOW I'll sew a pile of pants now that I know where my fabric is!! And Kristine and KID, MD...thanks for the notes regarding using a woven for that jacket. I will tissue fit to make sure that I have enough ease in there, but I found a couple of belted-waist boucle jackets on nordstrom.com, so I think it will look current. I'll include the examples in the blog when I finish the jacket!
Nice Haul! Enjoy............anxiously awaiting your creations!
I am soooo tempted by this but I am holding back - postage to Australia can often wreck what appears to be a good deal. Love your purchases!
Post a Comment