Monday, January 11, 2010

More of Sadie's Sewing

Yesterday my niece Sadie wanted to come over and do some more sewing. She saw the cardi-wrap that I had made when I wore it at Christmas, and has been harassing me ever since about wanting one of her own. I picked up an inexpensive knit from the bargain table at Hancock's so that she could make one.

Since she is still a little unsteady with the scissors, I cut the pattern out for her, otherwise there would be no way that we could leave the edges raw. Whether I let her use the scissors or the rotary cutters, anything she cuts looks like a pack of squirrels gnawed the pieces out of the fabric. I don't really know how to help her fix that, cutting smoothly is something that is so second-nature to me, I can't effectively explain to her how to do it, or diagnose what she is doing wrong. I am assuming she will get better with practice, since I assume that that is how I learned!

She did a good job sewing, however. I helped her with the shawl neckline, since that was a bit difficult, but she did the rest, and also sewed on the serger. I watch closely to make sure she is not zipping along too quickly, but she does very well controlling her speed. Here she is showing off all the different ways that her cardigan can be wrapped:





She just thinks she's the bee's knees, doesn't she? For her cardi we used the size small, and had to shorten the sleeves by 3 inches. She has a very long torso in relation to her waist, so we did not shorten the top at all. We have to do serious shortening on her pants and skirts, but shirts and jackets we don't alter.

As for my sewing, I have been planning some upcoming projects...some have been started and some have not. This year I would like to create fewer UFOs than I have in past years, perhaps I should have put that on the list of New Year's Resolutions. I have two unfinished projects that I want to work on in January.

I still need to finish my Chanel-style jacket. I started it during the sew-along, but then totally lost my mojo. But, it will be fantastic when it is done. I have the perfect combination of tweed and lining:


I will be using this pattern, in the shorter length but with longer sleeves:

Second, I have some shirts to make for my husband. I purchased a Japanese book on shirt-making, that has some fantastic patterns in it:


Once I get the muslin worked out, I'll make at least one version from this striped shirting from Fashion Fabrics Club:


I also purchased two very nice cotton shirtings while I was in Portland, and once I get the kinks worked out, I'll use those. They were recockulously expensive, so I will use the cheap stuff first.

I have a second FFC striped shirting, as well:


I am seriously considering using it for this shirt dress from the January Burda:


I love the shape of this dress, and I will have to size it up, but it should be fairly easy. I think that it would look nice in the stripe. Of course, I could be completely insane. That same issue also has a shirt pattern that is a serious contender for my Liberty fabric that I have been hoarding:


In fact, they recommend Liberty in their description. I think this would be a great way to show off the pretty fabric, although I have concerns that those pleats in the front will just make me look pregnant:


Of course, that is what muslins are for! I still have this blue from FFC:


Lastly, I would like to make this tunic/dress from the "Take one, Make four" section:

I have this silk charmeuse from the Vera Wang sale at Fabric.com, and haven't been able to come up with anything to make of it:


But, with the scribbles, and variation in color, I think the simple pattern will be better. I had also considered using this Vogue:

But I am afraid that the pleats at the neckline would make the dress just a touch too "boob-tastic." While I am sure I could skip the FBA on the dress with the pleats, I just don't see it going well. I may make a muslin of each and see what is the best look.

I would also like to make a couple more pairs of the Hot Patterns Marrakesh Pant. I am really happy with how they turned out, and I have a couple of "tweaks" I would like to make to make them even MORE awesome.

9 comments:

gwensews said...

Cute cardi on the little lady! You have a lot of good ideas patterns and fabric to work with. Sew on!

KID, MD said...

She did a great job on her cardi-wrap!! Good for her (and you!!). YOu've got some great stuff up and coming! I loved that dress and top in the last burda.

Aminat said...

What a cute wrap she did a fantastic job. All the patterns and fabrics are so beautiful too, Have fun with your sewing plans

Tanya said...

Very cute, she's very "pretty in pink". Can't wait to see your up coming projects you have some real beauties planned. lol-pack of squirrels

amber said...

The cardi-wrap looks adorable on her! I think it's good you left it unhemmed - I'm doing the hemming right now on one and it's a beast! Gah. :/

I'm excited to see what you come up with for the Liberty fabric - such a pretty print.

Susan said...

I made that tunic and am really happy with it. I think your Vera Wang fabric would be an amazing combination with that pattern.

julia said...

Your niece did a great job with your assistance, of course!

Andrea said...

Your niece did a great job on her wrap. It's beautiful.

I love all of your choices and fabric for future projects. I can't wait to see your progress.

Anonymous said...

Yr neice did a fabulous job with her cardi! I'm jealous. Can't wait to see what else you have in the works.

Dee