
Because the skirt is closely fitted, I decided to give it a "test run" before cutting into my boucle. I had a length of sage and black herringbone wool that I had gotten from Fashion Fabrics Club many, many months ago, and decided that this would be a good skirt for that. Most of the other narrow skirt patterns that I own have multiple panels, and I decided that would just be too much of a pain trying to match the pattern:

Since the front of the skirt is a single piece, and the back has only two and two small darts at the waist, I thought that this would interfere the least with the pattern on the fabric. Here you can see my questionable pattern matching on the back:

This skirt is also very short. They are not kidding when they say "2 inches above mid-knee." Since I am 5'6", pretty much the height that patterns are drafted for, the skirt did hit above the knee. The waistband, as per the description, also sits below the natural waist:

The skirt is also fully lined, although the instructions for the lining were a bit odd. The directions indicate that you should make a binding out of the lining fabric and apply this to the bottom edge of the facing. I have done this before, for example, when I lined the cape that I made recently:

I decided not to use their instructions, but to trim down the top of the lining and sew it directly to the bottom edge of the facing:

I also attached the lining to the vent, per the pattern instructions. Unfortunately, I am a terrible hand-sewer, and it looks like my 12-year-old niece did the work...It's not pretty:

Overall, I am quite happy with the results, but this "muslin" did reveal a couple of changes that I want to make to the second version. First, I want to lengthen the skirt by three inches, so that it will hit just below the knee. I will also peg it a bit more. Second, according to the finished garment measurements, cutting a size 20 would give me 1 inch of ease in the waist and no ease at all in the hips. Based on this, I cut a 20, and added an additional inch to the hips. However, when I put the skirt on after it was finished, It was definitely loser than I typically like:

There is too much ease at the hips, and the waist is too loose. This tells me either a) I lost weight in the 20 hours that passed since I measured myself or b) I am just really bad at measuring myself or c) I am a bit skanky and really like tight clothes. Since option a is unlikely in the extreme, I'm going to go with both b and c, since either are equally likely. So, when I make the final version, I will cut an 18, grading out to a 20 at the hips.
All in all, I am pleased with the finished results. I can easily go back and take in the hips a bit, that is a simple fix. I think it will be a nice option for work, either with a jacket or without.
9 comments:
In my never to be doubted and never humble opinion, you look good in darker colors. Impressed with the careful workmanship of your sewing.
This skirt looks fabulous on you. I do like the shorter length and looks very proportionate. This outfit is a winner!
Great first attempt at the skirt. It looks very nice, and would be great with patterned tights.
That skirt looks fantastic on you. Sometimes looking skanky is a good thing! Skanky looks good on you!
Hubba hubba! Great outfit, that skirt is so sleek and chic! Skanky? I don't think so!!!
LOL skanky. The skirt looks great it doesn't look tight.
I love the fit! Hey, skanky never hurt anyone. If you got it honey, show it off.
Wow, you're right, that skirt is on the shorter side. I like how it turned out, but I'm with you - I prefer very little ease on my fitted work skirts and would definitely pull it in for the boucle version. It looks great on you, but think it will look even better taken in a bit.
For a 'test run' that's a pretty amazing skirt. Great fabric and classic style, it really suits you. The shorter length looks realy good the way that you have styled it, with dark tights and that black top.
Post a Comment