Since it is unlikely that I will be successful in losing half my body weight between now and then, I suppose that I should just concentrate on looking my best as I am now. But I am completely unsure what to make. I want something somewhat dressy, but not too formal. And of course, it must make me look like I weight 40 pounds less than I do.
I spent some time with my stash and also did some snoop-shopping and I came up with a few things....
First, I LOVE this Pucci tunic. But at $885.00, it is more unlikely that I will acquire one than it is that I will lose half my body weight before the reunion:

On the other hand, I have a poly charmeuse in a similar colorway (see the far left):

And I could use this pattern from the January Burda:
I think that would look very nice belted, with a pair of slim black pants underneath. Which just means I have to procure a pair of black pants....
Another option would be to indulge my love of animal print. I have this zebra print pique from the most recent sale at Hancocks:
Which I could make into a pencil skirt ala this Cavalli, which can be had for a mere $390.00:

And I have DOZENS of patterns for pencil skirts! But, it looks like there are seams on the front that I could get a similar look by using this skirt in Burda, Aug 2009:

I also have some of this black sateen from the last $1.95 sale at Fabric.com (top of pic):

Which could make a pretty good knockoff of this Alfani dress from Nordstrom, and at $109.00 it would cost about 10x as much as my super-cheap fabric.
It also seems that shirtdresses are EVERYWHERE, in both wovens and knits. I love the look of this DVF jersey shirtdress, but at $365.00 is a touch out of my price range (this is, if they even had my size available):

But I do have aging in my stash both this jersey:

And this Hot Patterns pattern:
Of course it is important to take into account what is most flattering for my body shape, and with wide hips, a full skirt is a good disguise. For this reason, I tend to look better in clothes with a bit of a "retro vibe," like this Kate Spade, which is available for $355.00 at Nordstrom:

Also available at Nordstrom is this Teri Jon, for $305.00:

I especially like the Teri Jon dress because I have a HUGE length of silver-blue silk that I could use for a kockoff:

And a vintage pattern (one of the hundreds that I have) would probably be great for that silhouette. Perhaps one of these, all of which live in my collection:


I am am really loving the look of the vintage pattern in the blue silk, but would that be TOO retro? Perhps I would be better off rocking the 70's vibe with the Hot Patterns shirt dress? Or head for the 80's with the zebra print skirt and slouchy Flashdance top?
Decisions, decisions!!
16 comments:
Oh my gosh! I love them all!! I kept scrolling back and forth through your post.. This one.. no, that one... Zebra... No Pucci... No shirtdress... Aaaaahh! OK, silver blue silk in the Advance 9202 pattern or zebra Cavalli knockoff. That's my vote. I think. OK, you really can't lose here!
You do have lots of lovely choices. I especially love the zebra skirt, and the vintage dress in silk. The tunic is my least favorite of your choices. This is because of my own fashion choices--tunics shorten your legs visually, which is bad for me with my stumpy little legs. The HotPatterns plain and simple slouchy fly front skirt seems to have similar lines to your zebra inspiration. I can't wait to see what you choose.
Girl you have got to narrow down your choices! Exactly how much fabric do you have in your stash
LOL, I know! My stash is out of control!
Michelle, why did you post this?lol....lol, they are all beautiful and just made me salivating. I have to look for that hotpattern . I love all your fabric, wow, you got great fabric selection. Have a good weekend. Like knitmachine said, you have to narrow down
Lots of choices! My 40th is coming up and I have no idea what I'll wear. It's to be very casual though. I like that first top with the pattern you've chosen to copy it.
I'm thinking that zebra skirt would be totally flattering for you! I was a little jealous that your reunion will be your 20th--I just had the time of my life at my 40th! You will be a knockout, I'm sure!
Hey Michelle,
If there is anything I'm good it, it is unsolicited advice.
First, love allthe dresses and fabric choices however COMMA the reunion is not the place for a shirtdress or a tunic. Girlfriend, you gotta rock something out like a wrap dress or the full skirt silhouette. The blue wouldn't be too retro because you'd wear it with today's shoes and accessories instead of going the Mad Men themed look. Hem just below the knee for a streamlined look.
But by all means, make all those other dresses! You'll wear them for sure.
They all look like great plans and you have reminded me that I may have that HP shirtdress pattern somewhere.
I'm chuckling because you are having your 20th this year; I'm having my 40th! I haven't given a thought yet to what I will wear. I graduated from a small private school and I'm guess our reunion will be rather casual as was our 10 and 20. I'm not sure that there was a 30. Whatever you decide, you will look fabulous!
I like all of these options - you can't go too far wrong with any of them. I am a bit soft on the vintage pattern in blue though!
I love the Teri Jon/silk combo! Great examples of how to match fabrics/patterns. Also I think the vintage look embraces the idea of a woman with curves while the other designs look like maybe the wearer is downplaying the curves. Got 'em? Then flaunt 'em! Please feed the supermodels I always say.
Thanks everyone, for you comments! It looks like the consensus is that the blue silk would not be too vintage, so I think I will definitely be going with that. I am looking forward to working on it!
Don't give up on the animal print skirt. The silver blue dress is ladylike, the skirt is hot. You'll wow them at the party either way.
I am voting for the retro dress. If I recall correctly, you made one in a pink or peach colored fabric and it looked smashing.
I'm glad you are opting for the shirtdress in silk. That is going to be so very pretty!
Post a Comment