Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Why I Hate Tissue Fitting

I am completely incapable of tissue fitting. I either inhale too big and rip all my pattern tissue like the Incredible Hulk busting out of David Banner's clothes, or I make a bunch of alterations that I end up having to undo, and should have trusted my flat pattern measurements all along. The more I attempt to tissue fit, the more firmly I believe that muslins are the best way to fit.

I traced off Burda 02-2010-114. The shirt goes up to a 44, but I needed a 46. So, I traced a 44 and then laid that line on the next size down and then traced a new line...using the grading of the other pattern sizes as a guide for where to place the next size up...if there were a next size up.


I then proceeded to do a tissue fitting and BELIEVED based on that that I needed to add a full 3 inches of width to the front.

Upon trying on the shirt after sewing the front and back together, I found that not only was it too large, but should I unexpectedly find myself pregnant, I am all set. Because I figured out how to make maternity clothes! It was HUGE around the hem. DISASTER!!

So, I took it apart, cut down the front (essentially making it the exact pattern that I had started with, before my tissue fitting) and put the shirt back together.


Then I tried it on again, and had to take out a good 3 inches under each arm and then recut the armscyes...which after my machinations were now big enough for a wrist. Seriously, I HATE TISSUE FITTING. It is always an unmitigated disaster when I do it. Muslins. Muslins are definitely the way to go.

Anyway, here is the final product....

Burda 02-10-114 is a "classic long-sleeved blouse with button panel, shirt collar and cuffs...our version is slightly fitted" per the magazine description. I did not use the giant cuffs because I used the sleeves and cuffs from the bib-front shirt that I have been putting on everything. Plus, I tend to wear a lot of cardigans, and those giant cuffs won't work with that.

Something that neither the line drawing, nor the garment photo adequately illustrates though, is just how large the collar is, and also that the collar stand extends far out past the collar itself. You can see it if you look at the photo for pattern 113, the tunic-length version of the same shirt:


And in "real life" it looks like this:


To make the shirt, I used the last of the embroidered white lawn that I had purchased for the princely sum of $1.95 a yard on sale at Fashion Fabrics Club.

The shirt has darts in both the front and back, and is closely fitted. But of course, after my "tissue fitting travesty," there is still some extra width around the hem, which I hacked back off the pattern for the next version. I also need to deepen the darts on the back, but even though it bunches slightly it is ok for now, because it will always be under a cardigan or jacket:


The darts in the front extend all the way to the hem:


And the front button placket is actually cut onto the front and then folded over. It is a more simple construction than a placket cut as a separate strip, but also makes for an incredibly broad front pattern piece:


Ultimately I am happy with the results, but I nearly lost my mind getting there.

In other news, I did finally get a new ironing board cover!


My old cover was full of holes and was roasted to a lovely shade of golden brown. I got this one (and a backup!) for just $9.00 at Tuesday Morning. Much nicer than the blah blue ones that they had at Target.

12 comments:

KID, MD said...

You have been making some amazing tops! I really like this one. I liked it in the mag, and I like yours. Nice save from the tissue fit, too. I've had some interesting outcomes from tissue fitting. Sometimes it works, but sometimes... ???

okie2thfairy said...

The shirt looks great and it makes you look so thin! Is this the shirt or just you?! Hmm, if it's the shirt then I need at least 10 of these. Great job on all the fitting issues, I'm there with you on the tissue fitting- yuck.

Gail said...

I've had that situation too. But you got there in the end. It is a very nice blouse and the fit is great.

gwensews said...

Congratulations on your persistence! Your shirt ended up being very pretty. I do very little tissue-fitting. I make flat pattern alterations and cut a muslin. I make adjustments to the muslin, take it apart and use it as my pattern.

Eugenia said...

I agree with you about tissue fitting - it never works for me. I use flat pattern measurements then make up a muslin to fine tune it - it gives a much more accurate sense of how the garment will fit. You did a great job with your beautiful new shirt - a classic white shirt like that is going to look great with everything.

Kim said...

Right there with ya on tissue fitting! I tried to tissue fit one of the Palmer/Alto McCall's dress patterns last night and ended up so frustrated! I mean they even have instructions in the pattern for it.

I love your blouse. It ended up fiting you great!

Sheila said...

I was tickled blue over your pattern tissue busting as if you were the Incredible Hulk. I got a good laugh from that becuase I attempted tissue fitting and it was a ripped mess before I could figure anything out.

Great job on the blouse and I like my darts to extend to the hem of blouse also.

Thank you for the lovely compliment on my dress and clarifying the sheath/jumper question...it shows how fashion arkward I am.

Mary Nanna said...

Great job on the blouse - it looks very smart. I love that collar! I guess there's some practical reason why they do the stand that way - they probably expect people to be wearing their shirts all buttoned up!

I am a huge fan of tissue fitting. The secret is to pull the tissue very close to the body. Pull it as taut as you can without tearing. Fabric is looser and has a moveable weave so it'll end up bigger, always.

The thing I hate about muslins is the waste - of time and materials. My perfect solution would be wearable muslins. I need to start thinking more creatively about how to make the garment twice in a way that ensures it gets worn twice!

Good on your for perservering with the challenges of this shirt. Every wardrobe needs a white shirt, or so the style gurus proclaim!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty.. love the fabric.. I know in the end it was worth the headache....I stay away from tissue fitting. I could never get it right.. I prefer the extra step of doing a muslin.

Meg said...

Well done! Me too, I'm a total spazz at tissue fitting. I guess that's why I have to make muslins all the time.

Kat said...

Tissue fitting is a funny thing. At first, I just couldn't "see" anything, and it was extremely difficult. But nowadays, I rely a lot on it. I think it was the combination of taking fit classes while attempting to learn tissue fitting really helped. But it took...a good 2-3 years ;) ! Consider me a slow learner.

amber said...

I haven't tried tissue fitting yet, but I don't think it would go very well for me. :/

Love that top in that fabric. So pretty and delicate.