To make the pieces of carpet a little easier to handle, I removed it in strips. Find a spot where you can get to the edge of the carpet...like in one of the holes cut for the vents (this is also a good way to get a peek at what is under carpeted floors if you are looking at a house to buy. Lift out a heating vent, and pick up the edge of the carpet).
Grab the free edge, and start cutting with the box cutter, until you have a whole strip free. To pull the carpet away from the tack strip. The pad rips easily and is only attached to the floor with a few staples, so just grab it and rip it up.
Now, if your objective is to refinish the floor, the tack strip and the staples from the pad will have to be pulled out because if anything is left in the floor it will destroy the VERY EXPENSIVE drum on the floor sander (ask me how I know!). But, if you are considering having a professional refinishing service come in and redo your floors, taking up the carpet and pulling all the staples is a great way to cut costs, because while it is time consuming and tedious, it requires NO skills, other than the ability to operate a pair of pliers. Why pay professional labor rates to have someone else do it? Grab a plier and go!
Clearly, though, there will be no refinishing of these floors, due to the huge patches in them:

Here is the damaged wall from the window leak. The windows have been replaced, so now I can repair the wall. Yay, more destruction! I get to use a sledge hammer!!

Reason number two for the removal of the carpet, and reason number one that I am going to beat my cat with a shoe:

Last year, Ollie embarked on a campaign of terror against the dining room carpet. After much behavioral modification and a ridiculous sum of money spent on anti-depressants for a CAT, the "Mad Pisser" has been defeated. Now Ollie can return to his hobby of gaining as much weight as possible:

Here is the room with the carpet completely removed. My brother an I will be starting on lifting the hardwood floor this weekend:
4 comments:
Hi Michelle, came across your blog via Smoking Needles. Your technique for copying rtw is off the chain and can't wait to try it.
I am a Loft fan, mostly love their pants, especially the Marisa cut. I have purchased several pants pattern in the hopes of one of them having the same cut as the Loft, but haven't tried a pattern yet to know...lol and instead continue to buy their pants.
You are doing some heavy duty reno in your home and looking forward to seeing the finished look. I've come to enjoy reading about other's renovations, b/c I am burnt out from years of renos...lol
Glad to know someone else has 32 windows (one room has 8 windows...uggh) I just couldn't stomach buying curtains for so many windows and immediately hit the fabric stores and have been sewing ever since.
In that last picture, Ollie looks like he's scoping the room out for another special spot... keep an eye on him!
You had me laughing out loud at the 'mad pisser'! Seriously, it's the funniest phrase I've heard for ages.
I thought my black and white cat Cowin J. Pussycat was the naughtest cat in the world but looks like he has an evil twin. Good luck with the rehab of your room.
Post a Comment