Saturday, June 27, 2009

Singer 99-13

Today I scored quite a prize on Craig's List. I found a Singer 99 in a bentwood case for just $20.00. Not only is the machine very pretty, with nice decals, but it also WORKS! And did I mention, $20.00??

According to this website where you can date your Singer machine, it was manufactured in 1926, Elizabeth New Jersey. I also am pretty sure that is is a 99 based on this site that will assist you in identifying your vintage Singer.

Another good site to check for information about vintage machines is Sew-Classic. Here is a Sew-Classic post about the 99, detailing the machine specs. It is a 3/4 size machine, and the head is made of cast iron. It is belt-driven, and uses low-shank feet and standard needles, although the needle must be inserted with the flat side to the right, so the needle is threaded from left to right.

Here are some photos:


Here is the machine with it's cover on:


Here is a close-up of some of the nice decals:


It looked so good, I threaded it up and tried to sew. Thanks to the Sew-Classic site I was able to download a manual and followed the threading diagram. It works great!

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Awesome purchase!

Tanya said...

What a deal. I had a treadle machine that I gave away ARGH!

Linda T said...

Great find. I had one of these for a while. Sewed a beautiful stitch. I sold it a year or so ago to a friend that needed an extra as she was teaching a sewing at her home. It sews a great stitch!