Sunday, June 7, 2009

Progress on "The Plan"

This weekend I finished with the second step in my plan that I set up for myself a couple of weeks ago.

If you remember, I wanted to use this red fabric to make the McCalls 5860, but there wasn't enough so I reverted to the orange jacket instead:


After a little thought, I decided to use the white linen blend for the McCall's jacket, rather than for either of the Vogue patterns that I had selected.


I felt like either of the Vogue patterns really needed a crisper fabric. I have to say, as nice as it looks on the bolt, I am not a fan of these linen blends. They are not "drapey" so much as they are "floppy." I don't know if that makes sense or not, but they don't press well, either. So I think I am pretty much done with them. I got three colors, I just used the last of it, and I won't be buying any more.

But, because I didn't have a fabric for the Donna Karan jacket, I ordered a citrus green color sateen from Fashion Fabrics Club, as well as a white sateen to make a coordinating pair of pants from my tape pattern.

Back to the McCalls jean jacket:



Since this is a Palmer-Pletsch pattern, there are pages and pages of instructions on fitting. Somehow, over the course of all the fitting, I managed to make a princess-seamed, nicely shaped jacket into something rather boxy. Also, a warning: the sleeves are super-long, and I took about 3 inches off the length of the jacket overall. Otherwise it was just so long it was overwhelming.

To finish the seams, I flat-felled most of them. There are a couple of places, like the inside of the pockets and under the pocket flap, that I zig-zagged the edges because I just couldn't envision how to hide it.

The fabric is somewhat see-through, but definitely not as bad as the eyelet I was working with a couple of weeks ago. Because it is lightweight, the jacket could be worn as a shirt, and the two "strategically placed" pockets and the front facing means you can get away without a cami.

In further sewing news....I probably won't get much done today because my niece is coming over to sew. Last week she finished another tunic, and this week she wants to make a skirt. We cut out the pieces last week and this week I did some "pre-sewing," mainly finishing some difficult parts for her and zig-zagging the edges of all her fabric.



She is doing well with her sewing but that ruffle on that shirt...omg, it was a disaster! She stayed over last weekend, and after looking at how she had sewn it on, I ended up taking out all her stitches and re-doing it while she was sleeping. I also re-set her sleeves. She's such a goof, she never noticed! She still thinks that she did all the sewing on the shirt!

Today we are going to work on this skirt from the April BWOF:
I have projects to work on as well, yesterday I cut out my fabric for Vogue 1107:


This pattern has 27 pieces. Let me repeat that.....TWENTY-SEVEN PIECES. Seriously!! The front and back are split into 4 pieces each, there are pleat underlays...but the side ones are a different size than the center ones!! I didn't even cut the pieces for the macrame belt or the knotted buttons. I just bought buttons. I used a brushed twill, and if this works out, I will probably get a nicer fabric for another version.

I'm trying my best to not let myself get derailed from my plans, but I just got an order from Fabric.com, and this charmeuse has been calling my name:


I think I need a couple of tunics! But logic will prevail, and I will continue to work on my plan....

5 comments:

Linda T said...

27 pattern pieces!!! I'm tired just reading THAT number!

Gail said...

Good for you teaching your daughter to sew. I'm teaching my 13 year old, but I make her unpick and resew her own mistakes. I'm pretty mean!

Michelle said...

LOL, Gail...you make my black little heart giggle. Sadie is my niece, I should have mentioned that in the blog. I don't have any kids, I'm too mean and crabby!!

Marji said...

Just wanted to pop in and comment that I've been following what you're up to, and still hope to catch up with you sometime. How wonderful that you're working with your niece - she's a cutie pie.
I have that Bad-Misch jacket on deck for this month too. Love that sleeve. I'm going to try it with a silk linen and hope it's got enough crispness.
Have you heard of or tried the Brussels Washer fabric? It's a 1/2 linen 1/2 rayon blend that's supposed to give the best of both fibers.
Your pant fitting looks like it's coming along great too.

Skitzo Leezra said...

The control freak in me would want to correct Sadie's mishaps but . . .haven't WE ALL learned by redoing and revamping?
Just sayin'.
Another too mean and crabby chick,
I am,
SkitzoLeezra