I have been needing some basics in my wardrobe, and I thought that BWOF 05-2009-110 would fit the bill nicely:
I recently purchased a white cotton shirting with a little zig-zag embroidery on it, and decided to use that. I originally purchased 5 yards, and still have enough for another long-sleeved shirt (love the FFC sales! I got enough shirting for 6 shirts, for about $40.00):

This particular pattern was drafted in sizes 36 to 46, so I traced a 46, which is the appropriate size for my measurements. After tracing the pattern, I did some quick flat-pattern measurements, and decided to add 1 1/2 inches of tissue to the upper front bodice. I then folded that same amount out of the lower bodice, because I didn't want the entire shirt to be lengthened, I just wanted the empire line to be lowered to accommodate my bust:

My dress form is much shorter-waisted than me, so it is impossible to put it's boobs where my boobs are, but trust me, the empire seam hits in the right place when I have it on.
The shirt itself went together incredibly easily, and had some great touches like a collar stand and front button band. The way the collar stand and band were attached also hid all the raw edges, and the pattern did not use any facings at all. I like this a lot about Burda patterns, the safari dress I made recently was the same way.
Some other nice details include two large pleats in the back:
And a cuff with continuous lap:
Even though BWOF instructions can sometimes seem like deciphering hieroglyphics, I did not have any trouble with these. However, once you have constructed a traditional shirt like this once, you don't really need instructions anymore. There are only so many ways to sew on a cuff!
Back to work tomorrow, but at least I'll have a nice, new shirt to wear!
Edited to add: Sue had requested a photo of me in the shirt. I suppose this is better than my dressform with the wonky boobs!
7 comments:
Great shirt. I love this pattern too.
Fabulous!! The design details are great but I LOVE that fabric.
fantastic! I'm going to have to find that issue and trace it off. Then maybe I'll get the inspiration to sew it when the mojo finally returns in full force!
Great shirt. The details on this look very figure-flattering. I'll have to look this pattern up.
A girl can never have too many white shirts! Very nice.
Lovely shirt - any chance of a photo on you?
I hadn't noticed that pattern before, but your excellent version made me sit up and take notice!
Post a Comment