Saturday, September 5, 2009

Vintage Advance 5828


Today I completed Advance 5828, a 1950's era yoked shirt with convertible collar, pleated detail, and sleeve options. I made it from a black batiste from Fashion Fabrics Club, that ran around $4.00 a yard.

The pattern is a size 18, which mean a 36-inch bust. Unfortunately, my bust is 43 inches, so I figured there would be some significant alterations. Surprisingly, a simple full bust adjustment was all that was needed. I also took in the waist at the side seams, but I have to do that with everything, so I don't even think of that as an important alteration anymore. If something fits my bust or hips, then it inevitably has 2-3 inches too much ease around the waist.

After rescuing the shirt from my moronic "serger incident," I was able to finish up the sleeves and complete the shirt.


Here is a detailed shot of the front yoke with the pleats:


The pattern indicated one pleat in the sleeve, but I added an extra one:



Here is the back detail, with the yoke I added to cover the serger massacre:


I am really happy with how it turned out. Here is the shirt on. Make sure you have the right underclothes, though! A black bra is a must:


Surprisingly, the back is still slightly wide. I could stand to take in the back pleats more, but that might also create some fullness at the shoulder and hip. What would be better is to take a bit of tissue out of the center back.


Overall, I am really pleased with the fit of this shirt, considering the different proportions between the 50's and today...not to mention, the original pattern is quite a bit smaller than I am. I think I will definitely use this pattern again, especially since it has a long sleeve option, or I think you could make the yoke without the pleats. Or you could try not to hack a giant hole in the back of it and be forced to add a back yoke. You know, just for a different look!

8 comments:

gwensews said...

Great blouse. And hey, you fixed the cut successfully, instead of letting it be a design option!

Renee said...

Lovely shirt. Great save with the back yoke.

Dana Muma said...

Very, very nice! Considering the pattern vintage, it looks surprisingly modern.

Unknown said...

Really great top, you'll get a lot of use out this one!!!

Tanya said...

Awesome save, it looks great, we will never speak of the "serger incident" again lol.

Sue said...

Terrific save and the blouse was worth the effort - it looks great!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a really cute top! Love how you saved it and turned it into a wonderful design element!

Andrea said...

This blouse is fabulous on you. I love it. What a great save and job you did on this one.